Bali 2014 - Waroeng Bernadette at Toko Madu

One of the things which makes Ubud such a pleasure to explore are the small lanes with lots of hidden surprises. Just off the main road, Jalan Raya Ubud is Jalan Gootama - a backpackers' paradise full of lodging houses and quirky eateries. While exploring this charming neighbourhood, I came across a small restaurant called Waroeng Bernadette. It is housed in a curio shop called Toko Madu which sells all kinds of knick-knacks. The setting is beautiful and tranquil, it looked like a great place for a quiet dinner. I made a note of the location and decided to come back in the evening.


As things would turn out after I got back to the resort I went for a swim with the kids - and while getting out of the pool had a slip on the poolside and broke my right wrist. At first, I thought it was only a sprain, but the pain got worse. We went to the Ubud clinic and the doctor suspected there was a fracture. Anyway, they couldn't do much besides giving me some pain killers and bandage the wrist. Fortunately, we were going back the next day and I would get it fixed back home. Which explains the lack of pictures for the dinner.

After the clinic, we went straight to Waroeng Bernadette. It looked even better at night with the warm lighting. The menu is a selection of Indonesian comfort food such as Soto Ayam, Rendang, Ox Tail Soup, Gado-Gado, etc. We ordered a few to share. The kids loved the Bakso - noodles with meatballs - which were the best we had in Bali. The rendang was very good, so was the Ox Tail Soup. This is definitely the place to go if you want good Indonesian food at reasonable prices - and with great ambiance to boot. The good food and nice ambiance soothe my broken wrist a little - I had to learn to eat with only my left hand. But it was still a great way to end our trip to Bali.
 

Comments

Popular Posts