Japan 2012 - First Lunch in Kyoto

After walking around the Gion District for a while I was getting really hungry. This restaurant happened to be where I stopped for a break, and I decided to check it out. The name of the restaurant  - Kaniya, roughly translates to "Crab House". It sounds terrible in English, but I was assured that it sounds great in Japanese. I found out later that it is part of the Sapporo Kaniya Restaurant chain - specializing in crabs.


Inside the restaurant looks quite generic. Most mid to upscale restaurants in Japan looks about the same - it's almost like they employ the same interior designer.


As I was quite hungry, I decided to go straight for the set lunch. I ordered the Shashimi set lunch which cost around 3,000 yen - roughly  RM 100. Not cheap - but not too expensive either even compared to Japanese restaurants in Malaysia. When the lunch set arrived, I was impressed! It was a beautiful presentation, with each Shashimi item served in its own vessel. Besides the 5 types of Sashimi, there was also sushi, tempura, miso soup, and a chawanmushi.


Everything was extremely fresh and exquisitely prepared. The chawanmushi was so delicious, I wished I could ask for seconds. It was a pretty satisfying lunch. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
Tourist Attractions in India- Are you looking for holiday in India? Go Holiday India best offers holidays to India, India holidays,india Tour Packages and famous Tour and Travel Delhi, Agra, Jaipur,Rajasthan.
Looks like you had a great time with lots of terrific food!

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Popular Posts