Delhi 2018 - Delhi City

Delhi is the capital of India and also its 2nd largest city after Mumbai - with a population of over 11 million. This being my first visit to India - I really did not know what to expect. All the images I had of India are glimpsed from whatever Bollywood movies I had watched over the years, as well as articles in National Geographic. Unfortunately, Bollywood is in Mumbai and not Delhi.


With its long and varied history - Delhi is a melting pot of ethnicities and religions. The first thing you will notice is that India is not exclusively Hindu. In fact many of the famous landmarks are Islamic in origin - like the Taj Mahal, the Jama Masjid, and the Red Fort. 


The streets of Delhi are as chaotic as I imagined, but there are also stretches that resemble the more shambolic areas of Kuala Lumpur or Kuching. They are a lot more crowded - and are shared by many more different modes of transport - including rickshaws and bullock carts.


Comments

Popular Posts