Brussels 2013 - Lunch at Brasserie La Fiacre Bistro

We only spent about half a day in Brussels and there was only time for a quick lunch. I chose a place that looked reasonable. It was called La Fiacre which translates to "The Carriage" I think, as there was a picture of a carriage under the name. Not a particularly nice-sounding name when you try to pronounce it - I must add.

As I approached the entrance to the restaurant, a man who was standing outside called out to me. In his broken English tinged with French, I managed to make out what he was saying - apparently, he was a famous local personality and wanted me to pay to take a picture with him. No thank you!  Maybe if it was the other way round!


The place was empty except for a table of young Asian tourists - I thought I might have stumbled into another tourist trap. The decor was typical brasserie style, with the menu mostly written on blackboards - though it looked like it had not been changed for years. As I did not have much time - I quickly ordered a Steak Frites and soup of the day.


The steak was not that tender but flavourful. You may find that in Europe they are not as obsessed over Wagyu, grass-fed or grain-fed - or that the meat has to melt like butter. I think they like their beef full flavoured - which is fine with me. The fries were really nice and crispy. Belgium is after all the birthplace of  "french fries", though the French would beg to differ!


The soup turned out to be green pea soup. It didn't look like much but was very tasty. there were hints of bacon and sweetness of onions.


This turned out to be quite a satisfying lunch and it didn't break the bank - all in about 18 euros. I would go back and try the mussels.

Comments

Popular Posts